Friday, May 30, 2008



(Photos: Abdul Rashid Haji Tahir. Taken on 27 September 2005 in 16:9 aspect ratio)

I like food and travel. Therefore, one of my favorite channel in Kristal-Astro (Website: http://www.astro.com.my/) is Asia Food Channel (Website: http://www.asianfoodchannel.com/ ). This channel is about food (a lot of food) and food-related travels. My favorite program is Gila Makan (a review on Halal food and restaurants in Singapore), License To Grill (I love BBQ food so much), Food At Home (about cooking without a recipe), and Food At Large (about food everywhere e.g food at restaurant, catering, hotel, ceremony, racing track, etc).

Other than the food itself, I like to watch this channel because of the photography aspect of each program. I like food photography. Eventough I do not always take food photos, I do try taking a few of them. From certain program I can get ideas how to take food photos and travel photos especially in term of composition, and in 16:9 aspect ratio. It is comparatively easier to take photos in 3:4 or 2:3 aspect ratio than 16:9. I do find that 16:9 aspect is nice to look at. So I did try taking photos in 16:9 aspect ratio from my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 camera (now sold) or do cropping from 2:3 aspect ratio original photos.

At present , almost all latest compact camera has the option to shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio so that you can display photos in HDTV full-frame without any black bars on either side and/or without any streching on LCD High-Definition TV. The only DSLR with 16:9 aspect ratio capture option is Panasonic Lumix L10. But I prefer to buy the compact Panasonic Lumix TZ series such as TZ15. Panasonic Lumix TZ series camera is a nice camera for travelling (what I can understand by reading at its specifications and its ads).

PeachPit (Pearson Education)

ANY COMMENTS, PLEASE SEND YOUR E-MAIL TO:

abdul_rashid.tahir@yahoo.com