Friday, March 13, 2009
13th March 2009, Friday – This evening I visited Japanese Language and Culture Week, that is held from 11 -14 March 2009 at Chancellor Hall, Universiti Brunei Darussalam. This year the theme is "Japanese Pop Culture".
The event was jointly organised by The Language Centre of Universiti Brunei Darussalam and the Embassy of Japan. I did come when the sushi making demonstration was about to start.
According to an invitation letter from The Language Centre of UBD to my school, the purpose of the event is to:
- promote Japanese Language courses coordinated by the Language Centre to UBD Community and the public.
- foster the study of Japanese language through cultural activities organized by the Language Center;
- publicize the functions and activities of the Language Centre as a centre that is responsible in coordinating the teaching and learning of foreign language courses in Brunei Darussalam;
- expand the functions of UBD as an institution of foreign language education in Brunei Darussalam;
- maintain close relations between the Language Centre and other UBD faculties;
- support Brunei Government’s efforts to create close relations between the Japan and Brunei Darussalam especially in the fields of language education and culture, and
- increase the co-operation between UBD and the Embassy of Japan.
There are 14 booths that introduce the following aspects of Japanese culture or something that related to Brunei-Japan relationship:
3. Drama and Movie
5. BJFA UBD Chapter
6. Fashion and Trends
7. Video games
8. Japanese Food
11. Japanese technology
13.Studying in Japan
In conjunction with the event, there will be a public lecture on Japanese Pop Culture. There will be 2 lectures. The first lecture entitled “Nationalism and Sport in Contemporary Japan” by Dr Kosaku Yoshiono, Sophia University, Japan. The second lecture entitled “Media Globalization and Trans-Asia Cultural Dialogue” by Dr Koichi Iwabuchi, Waseda University, Japan.
The lecture will be held on 14th March 2009 at 2pm, at Senate Room, Chancellor Hall, Universiti Brunei Darusalam. (For futher information, you can call 2463001 ext 1719/1333).
p/s I hope I can attend the lecture.
Some photos taken: